Monday, February 18, 2013

Picture Frame


So I've been watching all these whitewash and blackwash projects on Pinterest.  And they look super easy!  Even more important, they look like something I might actually be able to pull off!  So with no further ado!! Here we go!!



Cheap Hobby Lobby Picture frame with missing glass on clearence for $5.44...... SOLD!


I loved the detail on the frame.  I had a KopyKat idea forming in my nogen.... I didn't have a clue what I was gonna make, but I knew I would make something.... at least I hoped I would!  Otherwise I was gonna have to go spend $ putting a piece of glass in this picture frame.

After 2 weeks, I had decided what to do!  Here's what you need to do this project:

Picture frame (the cheaper the better! Thrift stores and garage sales are great!)
Spray Primer (On this project I used Walmart Grey Primer .97 cents a can.)
Paint  (I was cheap, I got some from Walmart for .97Cents) Pray paint would work too!
Foam brush, cotton balls, or a cheap paint brush (again Walmart is great for this)
Valspar Tintable Glaze. (I tinted mine black. and this small quart will last me YEARS!)




Ok. Take the frame outside and spray it LIGHTLY with one coat of grey primer.  Wait 15 minutes and spray it again LIGHTLY! Wait 15 minutes again!

Now on to the painting.  If you have spray paint that you like you can use it now to paint the primed frame.  Or whatever you have on hand.  Again, I was cheap and bought this. 




Hey this paint was less than a dollar! And spray paint this color was $4 a can! And I barely used any of it!



I used cotton balls then moved on to a foam brush to apply this.  I did 3 light coats. Wait 15 minutes in between coats.


I could still see the grey primer underneath.  But I was gonna blackwash it. So after three coats I called it good.


Now I got the Valspar Tintable Glaze out.  I used a new foam brush and started brushing is on.  Once I was happy with the brush strokes.  I let it sit for 5 minutes.  Then I used and old T-shirt and wiped the glaze off.  I then reapplied the glaze all over again, let it sit 5 minutes and again wiped it off.

This time I felt it need a little bit more black to it.... So I did a 3rd coat of glaze and let it sit 30 minutes.  Here is what I ended up with.

Now I decided to let it sit for 4 days..... It seemed like the glaze just wouldn't dry!  after 3 days it was still tacky.... I have no idea why... with the exception of the spray paint primer, I did everything in my kitchen. So who knows.... 

After 4 days of drying time I still was unsure what I was gonna put in the frame.  I actually started messing around with some burlap and a new stamp I got. Next thing I knew I had stamped up some of my burlap and decided I would toss it in this frame and add these keys I found on CLEARANCE at Michael's for $1 each.


And here's what it turned out like.... No its not perfect! and I'm ok with that.  I'm having some black and white Photos taken of my three kids and of my boyfriends three kids and putting them around this frame on the wall to represent that each of our three kids have the keys to our hearts!  Awwww... I know, pretty sappy!   Don't ya love it!  I will update this post once the photos are up!  :)

Total Cost out of my pocket:
Frame $5.44
Keys   $3.00
Burlap $ .50
           $8.94
I had everything else on hand already....  Always go thru all your bins at home before you go buy new stuff!!

Kustomkopykat@blogspot.com

Not bad for a new piece of wall art!  And best of all..... I HAD FUN DOING IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment